Plant-based mac & cheese is still one of my favorite vegan dishes, and I'm always finding more ways or versions to veganize! There are so many vegan / plant-based cheese alternatives out there, that are SO tasty, and doesn't involve all the mucous forming, acidic, fungal causing properties of animal-based cheese. For more animal product alternatives, click here!
This cheezy version is oil free, dairy free, gluten free, and can be made fat free if you omit cashews. The roasted red pepper gives it such an amazing, rich flavor!
This recipe is not only great for mac & cheese, even baked (and hiding those extra veggies), but it's great to add to baked potato wedges, steamed broccoli, or as a cheezy brown rice/veggie dish! Add more hot spices for a nacho cheeze dish, too! This makes a decent amount of sauce, and can be made ahead of time and kept in fridge for up to 10 days! You can also freeze this for future use. Cheeze can be easily stored, and reheated on stove or in oven with 1 TBS of water or veggie stock For an even HEALTHIER version of this pasta dish, I love added veggies. See options below. Sprinkle hemp seeds on top for extra crunch, nutrition, and flavor.
1 cup of raw cashews (soaked for at least 2 hours)
1/2 sweet onion
1 golden potato
1 sweet potato
1-2 red bell pepper
1 tsp each of: paprika, garlic powder
1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
juice of 1 lemon
1-3 TBS nutritional yeast *optional*
1 cup of water [from boiled veggies]
pinch of oregano
sprinkle of cayenne
crushed red pepper, to serve
1 box of Jovial gluten free pasta, or 12-16oz pasta of choice.
Cooked Topping Options:
1 TBS Hemp seeds
1. Place to big pots of water to boil on stove: 1 for pasta, 1 for veggies.
2. Cut pepper in half and roast for roughly 30 min at 400F, or until blackening. You can do this ahead of time.
3. While water is warming up and pepper is cooking, roughly chop onion and potatoes.
4. Place onion and potatoes in water to boil in one pot. It's okay if the water isn't boiling yet. Cook for roughly 20 min or until you can easily pierce veggies.
5. When other pot is boiling, add pasta to cook and cook as directed on box. Drain when done.
6. Strain and rinse cashews. Add to blender and pulse.
7. Before straining onion/potatoes, add 1 cup of boiled veggie water to the blender. BE CAREFUL!
Then strain rest.
8. Add onion, potatoes, roasted red pepper, and spices / rest of ingredients to blender and blend on high until smooth.
9. Add cheeze sauce to drained pasta, along with other veggies toppings *optional.
10. Serve with some crushed red pepper and pink salt to taste.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Make sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily inspo! If you try my recipe, make sure to let me know by tagging me (@clementinecrossing on Instagram / or Clementine Crossing on FB), and use the hashtag #clementinecrossingrecipe